Thursday, January 6, 2011

Best State for Skiing

The map of the previous post would have one think that Wiscounsin is a better 'Ski State' than Colorado.  This cannot be true (because I say so).  My new criteria to determine the 'best state for skiing' could be total amount of inbounds verticle feet (all ski areas added together).  This will give states with few resorts but big mountains (like wyoming) a more accurate representation.  I could also do inbounds skiable acres per state.  However, this data will take forever to collect because I think I will have to find vertical feet for every single ski area in USA and add them together to determine the number for each state.  The result would certainly show the West as the place to be... I think Colorado or California would be #1.  Sometime I'll get around to making the map.

For now we will look at a map that shows each state's highest elevation.  This is inspired by coming across the map below that I came across on wikipedia.  It shows the highest elevation of each country in meters.  Asia is the only place with 8,000 meter peaks.  Only the America's and Asia have 6,000 Meter Peaks.



Now for my version.  It is the same idea only we will look at USA.  Sorry again for using "paint".  Pretty lame I know.

Now this is more like it.  The west clearly has the high mountains of USA.  Though the map from my previous post had places like Michigan and Wisconsin appear to be good places for skiing, this map shows that the bigger ski areas must be in the West, though the northeast has more ski areas.  Its strange that only Texas and Oregon have the highest peak between 7500 and 12500 feet. All other states lie below or above this range!  Alaska, California, Washington, and Colorado are the only states with 14,000 foot peaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment